Sunday 1 March 2015

My favourite corners #2


Ever since I wrote this post, giving a little glimpse to one of my favourite corners in the house, I've been enjoying thinking about the other little places around the house that are my favourites for different reasons. I'd love to think that one day I might take some proper pics of the house, but for now it's much easier to clear one corner for a quick few snaps rather than trying to tidy up all the duplo/ crayons/ farmyard animals/ squashed raisins from every surface (I sense that task would be akin to painting the Forth Bridge).

So here's another of my favourite spots in the house - Arlo's reading corner. We've only lived here for a little while so our house is still very much a work in progress, and I have grand dreams of proper, chunky, fitted shelving in the alcoves either side of the fireplace, but for now these shelves fit in pretty snuggly. Arlo is slowly but surely taking over the space on this bookshelf - you can see in these pics that the shelves used to store useful adult things like books and dvds, but because Arlo can now reach them (and therefore trash them) we keep his stuff on there instead. He's got a shelf for his own burgeoning book collection (a few faves of which you can find here) and another for a selection of toys - I find it helps to keep different toys in different places around the house so you can focus on each on their own for a bit and have a good play, so we rotate the toys on this shelf from time to time so there's always something new to discover.

So this has become one of my favourite places in the house to hang out in with Arlo - he reaches up to choose what he wants to read, and we curl up with a book or ten. Many times I've left him in the front room and found him sat at his end of the sofa, covered in a mound of books, quietly just making his way though the whole shelf's worth. We'll need to clear the top shelf for him too soon, either when his book collection starts overflowing, or his legs grow long enough to so he can reach the top. At this rate, I don't think either are far away.




Home Etc

12 comments:

  1. Poppy, we have this sofa too. Great isn't it and soooooo comfy. We have grey but I love your pinky red one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Ruthie? How funny! I'm currently enjoying a lovely relax on it now :) Hope you and M and T are well xx

      Delete
  2. You can't beat a reading corner and that looks a fab one. Enjoy :) #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie - many a lazy afternoon has been spent here! xx

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny how parts of your house change when little ones become mobile? This is a great space, I bet he loves it. It looks like another fab corner in your lovely house xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true - looking back at these pics from March I've realised that it's changed again since because Arlo got big enough to reach the top shelf and discovered the joys of shiny DVDs! Thanks for your lovely comments Lisa xx

      Delete
  4. What a lovely corner! Your sofa looks so inviting and the shelf fits in so well there. #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah what a lovely corner — perfect to snuggle up and read a book :) My boys are HUGE bibliophiles — it makes me so happy to see them 'reading' to themselves (and each other)! Just gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking up with Jess and me for #HomeEtc, we really appreciate it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caro, books are the best, aren't they? I have a stack of my old faves that I'm waiting for Arlo to get old enough for - so glad he's out of the page ripping phase these days! Loving #HomeEtc as always xx

      Delete
  6. It's such a gorgeous space, and I love that Arlo is so happy spending time there and reading. It's the most wonderful gift for children to be able to enjoy X #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a similar place! Lovely for reading and cuddles :) Thanks so much for linking up with us! Jess xx

    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete