Monday 25 August 2014

Things I'm thankful for - the birthday edition




May I draw your attention to the perfect round dome of clotted cream pictured above? It was a truly joyous birthday sight, made even better by the fact that we were baby free and had several hours to partake in Afternoon Tea in the sunniest place on the Island.

In case you missed the huge sunnies in my last post, it was my birthday this weekend. I'm now officially 31, and I'm alright with it. One year in, my thirties are my favourite decade so far. The best present I got this year was a small, enthusiastic, walking man - Arlo is officially a walker now and it's amazing to see him strolling around in what I find a surprisingly casual manner, as if it's what he's been doing all his life.

The Bank Holiday weekend was so full of lovely happenings that it's reminded me of a few things I'm thankful for, including:

  1. Buying myself flowers. Such a simple yet bloody lovely thing - why don't I do it more often?!
  2. Hearing Arlo call "mama" from the other room and waddle round to find me for cuddles
  3. Friends that energise you just by being near them
  4. Really good coffee (Arlo's sleeping is not so good at the moment so this is what's keeping me going most days) 
  5. Seeing Arlo hang out with both his new cousins in the space of a couple of weeks. He is mad about them both
  6. The Arthur theme tune. It's been featuring pretty heavily in our house at the moment. The first note is enough to get Arlo bopping in his seat, and it's been subject to many a family sing-along lately. Too catchy! And also - how good is Arthur? It tackles interesting subjects that kids need to know about in a non-patronising way. This week alone it's covered topics including brand marketing tricks, how reality TV is edited, and why it's OK if your mum and dad fight sometimes (in an episode called "mum and dad had a really big fight" that was actually RIVETING. I don't want to ruin the ending, but it was all OK in the end because "disagreeing about something doesn't mean you don't still love each other." TRUTH.)


No comments:

Post a Comment